Wednesday, January 13, 2010

What I'm Reading

THE FLY ON THE WALL by Tony Hillerman

With this book I've now read both of Tony Hillerman's non-Navajo novels. The hero of this book is John Cotton, political reporter for a large newspaper in an unnamed upper mid-west city rather similar to Chicago. John isn't quite as endearing as Joe Leaphorn or Jim Chee, but he has his moments. I think Hillerman was going for the cynical but lovable rouge, but it took me some time to warm to the character, and while there were several ends left loose, I assume to be addressed in the follow-up that never happened, I found myself not all that curious about what might have happened next.

The murder, or rather murders, and the tale of their investigation by Mr. Cotton, himself the intended target of multiple attempts, was wonderfully told. While the actual killer's and the men pulling their strings were easy enough to identify, the true motive for the killings remained unknown until the very end. There were plenty of clues to this motive, but I was no better at picking up on them than our hero.

This book is a must for Hillermaniacs, and a good read for mystery fans in general, but especially fans of investigative reporter mysteries. Hillerman worked as a reporter before his novelist career so there is an air of authenticity about it.

Published: 1971
Found At: Bookman's on Grant Rd. in Tucson
Paid: $3.00 (More than I like to pay for a used paperback, but I HAD to have it.)
Favorite Inside Joke: Reference to the movie THE FRONT PAGE

1 comment:

Talk to me dude