Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Writing as Revenge

Can I hold a grudge or what? My new novella-in-progress has the best bad guy I have ever written. The levels of his cruelty and manipulation have continually surprised me. Till today that is. Today I realized that this guy is an exaggerated amalgam of two teachers from my youth. They both managed to inflict some severe emotional damage on my already shaky self-image. Took a long time to recover these assholes. Now it looks like I'm not as over them as I thought. I hate that more than thirty years later they still have this power over me.

Perhaps this will be my exorcism of them. As painful as this has become, as I said, this is the best bad guy I have ever written. Maybe some good will come from my pain. Take control of my memories of pain and sadness and build some positive revenge.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Talk to me dude