Friday, April 9, 2010

The Guilt of Leisure

Maybe it's the puritan upbringing, but I've come to realize that I feel guilty about spending time writing. I feel like I should be doing something practical and productive like cleaning the back room or repairing the deck or feeding the homeless. 

I know this is just my inner critic trying to devalue my writing. Hey, just the money I save on therapists makes my writing worth it. Still. I can't shake the feeling that I'm not serving the world as I should. 

I think the main problem is that I enjoy writing, so how could it be of any value? In my underlying belief structure things that are fun are not important.  Being important is important. In my school days I was often accused of having my priorities mixed up. Who knew I was listening?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Talk to me dude